The panel shows the pupils with two of the school guardians.
The second panel shows Charity on the left. A widow and her children stand on the right hand side of the altar.
The photograph shows one of the four panels above the main entrance to Heriot’s. The scene depicts George Heriot the goldsmith working in his forge. The photograph appears in “Jinglin’ Geordie’s Legacy” by Brian R W Lockhart.
Jan Bondeson has written an article on Saltcoats Castle for the “East Lothian Courier”.
The illustration by R P Phillimore shows the Vennel. It’s possible that when Bobby first appeared, he may have managed to get into Heriot’s school grounds via the Vennel.
The illustration shows a bass drummer in Heriot’s school band during the 1860s. The bandsmen wore a yellow band around their peaked pillbox caps dark blue jackets, white waistcoats and grey trousers.
Andrew Usher II was born in Pear Tree House in West Nicolson Street in 1826. He was one of the three founders of the North British Distillery. The other two were John Crabbie and William Sanderson who both served as directors of Andrew Usher II was the first Chairman of the NB Distillery, serving from its start in 1885 until shortly before his death on 1 November 1898. Andrew Usher II and his brother John Usher, as partners in Andrew Usher & Co, were also the proprietors of the Edinburgh Distillery.
The photograph shows Cruachan the regimental mascot of the Royal Regiment of Scotland. The pony attended the Pets Blessing service at Greyfriars a couple of years ago.
Jan Bondeson has written an article for “The Scotsman” and the “Evening News” on the Mr Thomas Ross Scott the Mayfield psychic. https://www.scotsman.com/news/people/the-mystery-of-the-edinburgh-psychic-who-saw-the-face-of-jack-the-ripper-3146025
The Reverend Thomas Phillips commisioned a statue of his dog Friend when the dog died in 1810. The photograph is taken from Jan Bondeson’s book on Greyfriars Bobby. The memorial stands in the grounds of the vicarage at Eling.