Greyfriars 1621

A sum of money was set aside by the Town Council to build a church at the southern end of Greyfriars burial ground in 1602. The buttresses, stones and doors from the ruins of the Convent of St Catherine of Siena on the Burgh Muir were used to build Greyfriars, the first post-Reformation church to be built in Edinburgh. The building was finally completed when the tower was finished nineteen years later.