Born in Carnock near Dunfermline in 1721 John Erskine was appointed minister of New Greyfriars in 1758. He replaced theWilliam Robertson at Old Greyfriars ten years later. When he died in 1803 he was buried in Greyfriars kirkyard.
Born in Borthwick, Midlothian in 1721 William Robertson was appointed minister of Old Greyfriars in 1761. An eminent historian, he wrote the ‘History of America’.
William Adam the Scottish architect died in 1748. Designed by his son John the mausoleum which stands close to the Flodden Wall was completed five years later.
The Charity Workhouse which stood to the south of Greyfriars kirkyard was opened in 1743. A ragged school for children had previously stood on the site.
The west end of the building was repaired. It was decided to build a wall and divide the building into two churches. Old Greyfriars and New Greyfriars.
The Town Council used the tower at the west end of the church to store barrels of gunpowder. In 1718 the tower, bell and the gable were damaged due to an explosion which took place at two o’ clock in the morning.
Sir James McLurg the Dean of Guild for the City of Edinburgh who died in 1717 is buried in Greyfriars kirkyard.
The Corn Exchange was built at the west end of the Grassmarket in 1716.
Sir Hugh Cunningham was buried in Greyfriars kirkyard in 1710. The chief magistrate, he was appointed Lord Provost of the City of Edinburgh in 1702. He founded the Merchant Maiden Hospital.
The Martyrs’ Monument was set up at the north east side of the kirkyard in 1706. The names of the Covenanters who were executed in the Grassmarket are inscribed on the memorial.