The weekly Sunday morning service has resumed at Greyfriars Kirk. The historic church which is 400 hundred years old this year is open to visitors on Thursdays from 11.00 am till 4.00pm To receive a weekly newsletter contact: email@example.com
The railway line from the Waverley runs through East and West Princes Street Gardens.
The plan shows the position of the booking office and the stationmaster’s office. The station clock which was linked to the time gun circuit was supplied by James Ritchie & Son.
The illustration shows the Waverley Bridge. Two carriageways run down to the platforms allowing vehicles to enter and leave the station. The spire of St Giles can be seen in the background.
The collective name “Waverley”, after the Waverley Novels by Sir Walter was used for the three stations from around 1854 when the through ‘Waverley’ route to Carlisle opened. In 1868 the North British Railway acquired the stations of its rivals, demolished all three. Canal Street station was also known as Edinburgh Princes Street not to be confused with the Caledonian Railway station later built at the West End which was named Princes Street station from 1870.The illustration shows the original plan drawn up for the Waverley Station.
The North Bridge station was opened in 1846 by the North British Railway Company as the terminus for traffic coming from Berwick – upon-Tweed. The General station run by the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway Company opened the following year. The Canal Street station run by the Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven Railway Company opened on the same day connecting Leith and Granton via a long rope-hauled tunnel under the New Town.
The weekly Sunday morning service has resumed at Greyfriars Kirk. To receive a weekly newsletter contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
The postcard by R.P. Phillimore shows the Town House in North Berwick. A fishwife can be seen in the foreground.
The painting shows Quality Street, North Berwick during the mid 19th century.
The postcard artist painted an aerial view of the Bass Rock in the Firth of Forth. The Covenanters were imprisoned on the rock which lies approximately one mile offshore. The postcard is reproduced in ‘R.P. Phillimore’s East Lothian’ by Jan Bondeson.