The Glengarry cap was introduced into the British Army as an undress cap in 1868. The pupils were probably issued with the headgear instead of the cap with the leather peak at the same time.
Wine was served to the pupils during the founder’s day celebrations held annually on the fourth of June. Fifty eight pupils decided to abstain from drinking alcohol in 1859. The abstainers became known as “The Gallant Fifty Eight”
The illustration shows one of the pupils holding a gauge which was used to check that that the balls used for scudding were of a standard diameter
The plan shows the layout of Heriot’s school grounds.
George Watson’s School lay directly opposite Heriot’s in Lauriston Place. The pupils would regularly take part in pitched battles against one other.
The lodge house facing Lauriston Place was built in 1829
Jan Bondeson has written an article for the “Scotsman” and the “Evening News” on Eugene Chantrelle who lived in George Street. https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/people/edinburgh-murders-the-demon-frenchman-of-george-street-3163707
The stone carving of the young boy with a hammer and anvil above the north gate can also be seen above the lodge entrance facing Lauriston Place.
The photograph from “Jinglin’ Geordie’s Legacy” shows the north gate leading to the school quadrangle.
Several out schools were attached to Heriot’s. The photograph shows the out school in the Cowgate built in 1838.