The illustration by R P Phillimore shows Kingston village near Haddington.
The illustration by R P Phillimore shows the village of Sport near Dunbar. A settlement may have existed in the area for over 1,500 years. An Anglian homestead was found at nearby Doon Hill. Several women accused of witchcraft were executed at Spott Loan in October 1705.
The illustration by R P Phillimore shows Dunbar Town Hall which was built during the late sixteenth century.
Jan Bondeson has written an article for the “East Lothian Courier” on the Dunbar lifeboat. https://www.eastlothiancourier.com/news/19083406.recalling-bravery-forgotten-dunbar-lifeboat-hero/
Barns Ness Lighthouse which stands three miles from Dunbar was constructed by the Stevenson brothers between 1899 and 1901. The lighthouse took nearly two and a half years to build. The stone was quarried from Craigree near Cramond and Barnton. The illustration was drawn by R P Phillimore.
The illustration by R P Phillimore shows the Musselburgh Old Town Hall and Tolbooth which dates from around 1590 and is one of the oldest buildings of its kind in Scotland. The stones used in its construction were part of the chapel and hermitage of Our Lady of Loretto, which served as a hospital following […]
The photograph taken by John Thomson shows John Hewat’s headstone which stands in the Grange Cemetery on the south side of the city. The businessman suggested that a time gun be linked to the time ball on the Nelson Monument.
John Knox was born in Giffordgate in Haddington, East Lothian. The illustration is from R P Phillimore’s East Lothian by Jan Bondeson.
Jan Bondeson has written an article on David Rizzio’s grave for “The Scotsman”. https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/people/unsolved-edinburgh-mysteries-whereabouts-rizzios-grave-3122869
The Bass Rock Lighthouse built in 1902 was designed by David Stevenson. The 13th century keep and the governor’s quarters were demolished along with a few other buildings to provide the stone for the project. The illustration was drawn by R P Phillimore.