The Theatre Royal which stood in Shakespeare Square, at the east end of Princes Street opened on 9th December 1769. In 1809 the theatre was taken over Henry Siddons. It was rebuilt in 1830.
The illustration shows William Creech who published the poems of Robert Burns. Join Edinburgh World Heritage us for a celebration of the ‘heav’n-taught ploughman’ through poetry readings and a virtual guided tour of the places particularly associated with the bard from his time in the capital from 1786 to 1788. Special guests include Scottish actor […]
Jan Bondeson has written a story for the “East Lothian Courier” on Friar’s Walk. https://www.eastlothiancourier.com/news/18995003.dunbars-abbey-ruins-mystery-friars-walk/
The Sunday service will be taking place at Greyfriars tomorrow as usual.
Sergeant Jamie Shannon was appointed District Gunner in 2006. He was succeeded by Sergeant Beveridge the present District Gunner.
Nelson’s printing works stood close to the Queen’s Park on the south side of the city. Arthur’s Seat can be seen in the background. The company started off in 1798 as a second-hand bookshop at 2 West Bow, specialising in selling inexpensive, standard editions of non-copyright reprints of the classics. By 1822 the shop had […]
Originally boggy marshland St Margaret’s Loch which is overlooked by St Anthony’s Chapel was formed in 1856 as part of Prince Albert’s improvement plan for the area surrounding Holyrood Palace. Although it was used as a boating pond the loch is now a nature reserve for swans, ducks and geese.
The illustration by Mrs J Stewart Smith shows Holyrood Abbey founded in 1128 by King David 1. During the 15th century, the abbey guesthouse was developed into a royal residence. Following the Reformation the building was expanded. The abbey was used as a parish church. until the 17th century.
A stone pathway connects St Anthony’s Chapel in the Queen’s Park to Holyrood Abbey which was run by the Augustinian fathers. Kerbstones can still be seen along sections of the path. The chapel may have been used to accommodate pilgrims visiting Holyrood Abbey. There are references to funding for repairs to the building being provided […]
The Theatre Royal was gutted by fire in during the run of “The Nightingale” in July 1884.