The Queen’s Dock opened for shipping in 1817.
The Albert Dock opened by Provost Watt in 1869 was double the size of the three other docks.
The Edinburgh Dock opened for shipping in 1881.
The Custom House is situated on the north side of Commercial Street, Leith close to the area of the harbour known as the Sand Port and Ballast Quay. The building which was constructed at the beginning of the 19th century is based on the layout of Register House and was designed by Robert Reid the […]
The mariners on the ships on the Firth of Forth and the vessels docked in Leith harbour depended on the time ball to set their chronometers. The Nelson Monument can be seen in the background. The time ball was set up on the monument in 1853.
Lady Yester’s Church built between 1803 and 1805 stood in Infirmary Street. The church members moved to Greyfriars Kirk in 1938. Lady Yester’s chapel stands in the south east corner of the church.
The observatory on the Calton Hill opens to the public today at 10 am. The photograph shows the transit telescope used by Professor Piazzi Smyth and his assistant Mr Wallace. Admission is free.
The Hospital for the Sick Poor stood at the head of Robertson’s Close at the corner of the South Bridge and Infirmary Street. The Royal Infirmary moved to Lauriston Place in 1879 which had been George Watson’s School.
Chambers Street was named after William Chambers who was elected Lord Provost of Edinburgh in 1865. North College Street and three residential squares built in the 18th century, Adam Square, Argyle Square and Brown Square were demolished under the civic improvement project. The area was used to build the spacious new thoroughfare. A statue of […]
Built in the early 18th century Minto House was converted into a hospital specialising in treating victims of street accidents in 1829. It was demolished under the civic planning project.