Dr Robert Wallace was appointed minister of Old Greyfriars in 1868.
Dr Robert Lee had a harmonium installed in Old Greyfriars in 1860. A pedal organ was installed in 1865.
The Tytler stone was set up in Greyfriars kirkyard in 1862. The stone commemorates James Tytler an expert on heraldry who advised the Lord Lyon on heraldic matters.
A stained glass window to the memory of George Buchanan the historian who is buried in the kirkyard was also installed in 1857. Nine stained glass windows manufactured by Ballantyne & Allan were installed in Old Greyfriars after the roof and the interior of the church had been repaired.
A stained glass window was installed on the gable end of Old Greyfriars in 1856 and dedicated to the minister Dr Lee.
The Irvine Memorial was set up in Greyfriars kirkyard in 1853.
Although the roof was repaired the gable end of Old Greyfriars was not restored to its original design.
Although the firemen managed to save New Greyfriars, the roof of Old Greyfriars was destroyed by the fire.
A strong wind was blowing and the fire spread quickly. Four fire engines arrived at the scene to deal with the outbreak while a detachment of the 87th Regiment was sent from the barracks at Edinburgh Castle to handle the crowds.
Old Greyfriars was destroyed when a fire broke out in 1845. The caretaker had gone for his breakfast. The flue overheated setting fire to the building.