James Douglas of Cassellis and a number of prominent citizens provided the funding to build a friary for the missionaries on the south side of the site where Greyfriars Kirk now stands. The Franciscans who had taken a vow of poverty declined the offer as they considered the accommodation too luxurious for their needs but decided to move into the building eight years later. In 1539 the fathers moved to a new friary which had been built at the foot of Candlemaker Row. Construction work started on the Magdalen Chapel two years later. The chapel which stands in the Cowgate can be seen on the right of the engraving marked number 18. The illustration shows the Grassmarket area of the town during the 17th century.