Nelson’s printing works stood close to the Queen’s Park on the south side of the city. Arthur’s Seat can be seen in the background. The company started off in 1798 as a second-hand bookshop at 2 West Bow, specialising in selling inexpensive, standard editions of non-copyright reprints of the classics. By 1822 the shop had moved to 9 West Bow. A second shop opened for business at 230 High Street. The photograph is from “Forgotten Edinburgh”.