The friary was dissolved in 1560. Greyfriars burial ground was founded in 1562 after Royal sanction was granted to replace the cemetery at St Giles. By the following year the friary had been demolished and the stones used to build the the new Tolbooth in the High Street and the wall around the graveyard at St Giles. A sum of money was set aside by the Town Council to build a church at the southern end of the burial ground in 1602. The buttresses, stones and doors from the ruins of the Convent of St Catherine of Siena on the Burgh Muir were used to build Greyfriars, the first post-Reformation church to be built in Edinburgh. The building was finally completed when the tower was finished nineteen years later.