Lady Yester’s Church built between 1803 and 1805 stood in Infirmary Street. The church members moved to Greyfriars Kirk in 1938. Lady Yester’s chapel stands in the south east corner of the church.
The observatory on the Calton Hill opens to the public today at 10 am. The photograph shows the transit telescope used by Professor Piazzi Smyth and his assistant Mr Wallace. Admission is free.
The Hospital for the Sick Poor stood at the head of Robertson’s Close at the corner of the South Bridge and Infirmary Street. The Royal Infirmary moved to Lauriston Place in 1879 which had been George Watson’s School.
Chambers Street was named after William Chambers who was elected Lord Provost of Edinburgh in 1865. North College Street and three residential squares built in the 18th century, Adam Square, Argyle Square and Brown Square were demolished under the civic improvement project. The area was used to build the spacious new thoroughfare. A statue of the Lord Provost can be seen on the pavement running along the southern side of the street.
Built in the early 18th century Minto House was converted into a hospital specialising in treating victims of street accidents in 1829. It was demolished under the civic planning project.
The Trades Maiden Hospital which stood in Argyle Square was founded by Mary Erskine in 17o4. The square was demolished under the civic improvement scheme to make way for Chambers Street.
Society which consisted of an area of land lying between the Flodden Wall and the Cowgate was granted to the Fellowship and Society of Ale and Beer Brewers of the Burgh of Edinburgh during the 16th century. The city reclaimed ownership but continued to use the name.
The Cunzie House or counting house stood at the foot of Candlemaker Row near the Cowgatehead. The building was demolished under the civic planning scheme.
The French Ambassador’s Chapel stood in the Cowgate. Charles Cauchon de Maupas et du Thour or de Tour (1566-1629) was a French ambassador to the court of James VI.
High School Wynd connected the Cowgate with Infirmary Street.