The National Covenant was signed in Greyfriars kirkyard in 1638. The stone stands at the gable end at the east end of the church close to the main gate. Andrew Ramsay was the minister when the historic document was signed. He was elected Rector of Edinburgh University in 1646.
The foundation stone for Heriot’s Hospital was laid in 1628 on the land lying to the west of Greyfriars kirkyard. The money to build the hospital was provided by George Heriot the King’s moneylender. The church tower can be seen to the left of the hospital.
A sum of money was set aside by the Town Council to build a church at the southern end of Greyfriars burial ground in 1602. The buttresses, stones and doors from the ruins of the Convent of St Catherine of Siena on the Burgh Muir were used to build Greyfriars, the first post-Reformation church to […]
Greyfriars Kirk which stands in the centre of the City of Edinburgh is closed during the present global situation. The kirkyard is still open to visitors. The church is celebrating its 400th anniversary this year.