James Ballantine was born in Edinburgh in 1808. Although stained glass had not been manufactured in Scotland since the Reformation, James Ballantine decided to set up a studio in Carruber’s Close in 1837. Along with his partner George Allan he set up a company at 42 George Street specialising in supplying stained glass and house […]
Greyfriars Kirk is closed to visitors today as the church is being used for recording. The Radical Welcome course begins at 8pm this evening run by Anne Ross, our visiting minister from the Lutheran Church of Bavaria and our probationer minister, Urzula Glienecke. At our three venues, Greyfriars Kirk, the Grassmarket Community Project and the Greyfriars Charteris Centre, […]
The illustration shows the Queen’s Port on the west side of Edinburgh Castle. It was possible to climb up the rock to the Queen’s Port from West Princes Street Gardens.
The Earl of Morton is buried at the foot of Greyfriars kirkyard
The weekly Sunday morning service has resumed at Greyfriars Kirk. The historic church which is 400 hundred years old this year will not be open to visitors this Thursday as the church will being used for recording. To receive a weekly newsletter contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
The illustration from James Grant’s ‘Old and New Edinburgh’ shows the West Meadows during the 19th century. The Meadows provided a playground for the children living in the industrial area of Fountainbridge including Sir Sean Connery and his brother Neil. The One o’ clock Gun originally fired from the Half Moon Battery which can be […]
The illustration shows the area in the West Port not far from Tanner’s Close where William Burke and William Hare lodged. The Half Moon Battery can be seen in the background.
Greyfriars Bobby appears in the film “Burke and Hare” starring Simon Pegg as William Burke and Andy Serkis as William Hare. Burke and Hare supplied bodies to the medical schools during the 1820s which would make the terrier over fifty years old when he passed away.
The railway lines run past the Well House Tower which stands at the base of the Castle Rock. A small bridge allows pedestrians to cross to West Princes Street Gardens not far from the tower.
The painting by Robert Sanderson shows a drill parade on the Castle esplanade. The painting is part of the City Art Centre collection. The artist also painted a portrait of Greyfriars Bobby which is owned privately. Painters, past and present, have depicted Edinburgh in countless different ways as both a backdrop and as the subject […]