St Margaret’s Convent is situated in Whitehouse Loan on the south side of Edinburgh. The original building was the home of many literary figures during the eighteenth century. The building became a convent in 1834.
A convent and church were built in the grounds of the late 18th century villa known as Macauley House formerly known as Lauriston Lodge in Lauriston Gardens on the north side of the West Meadows. The convent which was built by William Matheson is occupied by the Sisters of Mercy and dedicated to St Catherine […]
The Sacred Heart in Lauriston Street opened in 1860. The church was designed by Father Richard Vaughan SJ who was a Jesuit priest.
Jan Bondeson has written an article on Bobby for “The Scotsman” and “The Evening News”. https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/heritage-and-retro/heritage/unsolved-mysteries-of-edinburgh-new-light-on-greyfriars-bobby-both-of-them-3140007
A Roman Catholic chapel was opened in Hunter’s Close in the Grassmarket in July 1859. According to an estimate, between fifteen and twenty thousand Catholics lived and worked in Edinburgh at that time.
The illustration by R P Phillimore shows St Mary’s in Haddington. Building work on the church was started in 1380. St Mary’s is the longest church in Scotland measuring 206 feet (62.8 metres) from east to west.
The illustration by R P Phillimore shows Kingston village near Haddington.
The illustration by R P Phillimore shows the village of Sport near Dunbar. A settlement may have existed in the area for over 1,500 years. An Anglian homestead was found at nearby Doon Hill. Several women accused of witchcraft were executed at Spott Loan in October 1705.
The illustration by R P Phillimore shows Dunbar Town Hall which was built during the late sixteenth century.
Jan Bondeson has written an article for the “East Lothian Courier” on the Dunbar lifeboat. https://www.eastlothiancourier.com/news/19083406.recalling-bravery-forgotten-dunbar-lifeboat-hero/