The first official firing of the One o’ clock Gun took place on the Half Moon Battery on 7th June 1861 after failing to fire on the previous two days. The signal was fired from an 18 pounder which replaced the 24 pounder used for firing salutes.
June 3rd marks Founder’s Day at George Heriot’s School. A statue of the founder stands in an alcove over the north gate. The staff and pupils attend Greyfriars Kirk for the annual service. image credit ‘Reminiscences of Heriot’s Hospital’
‘Greyfriars Graveyard’ by Charlotte Golledge is available from the Greyfriars Kirk bookshop. The book takes the reader on a tour of the kirkyard explaining the symbolism behind the stones and carvings. For further details contact: firstname.lastname@example.org