Coconut Tam Simpson was a street vendor who sold coconuts in the High Street near the Tron. Born in the Potterow, he was buried in the Grange Cemetery, Edinburgh when he died in 1894 at the age of seventy one.
Making enquiries, Angela Burdett-Coutts was told that the little dog had belonged to an old soldier called Robert Gray. She immediately wrote to the Planning Department asking for permission to erect a memorial to the owner in Greyfriars kirkyard.
Angela Burdett Coutts the owner of Coutts Bank and her companion Mrs Hannah Brown came to Greyfriars kirkyard in 1869 to see the little dog who went for his dinner when the time gun fired from the Half Moon Battery. image credit: ‘Lady Unknown The Life of Angela Burdett-Coutts’
Edinburgh’s first electric power station opened at Dewar Place in 1893. Although most of the building has been demolished one of the generators has been preserved and can still be seen. The station was run by Edwin Monkhouse the City Engineer.