‘Bobby Randagio Di Edimburgo’ by Maria Rosa Furbelli is available from Mursia. Jock Gray arrives in Edinburgh with his family, joins the police force and is given a dog to accompany him on his beat. Available from mursia.com
Auld Malabar the juggler entertained the crowds in the Grassmarket and Parliament Square. He would through a metal ball high into the air and catch it in a cup strapped to his forehead. image credit Ned Holt.
The photograph shows the set for Burgh Court designed for Walt Disney’s film “Greyfriars Bobby’. The design of the shadow of the window indicates that the set may have been based on the plan of the actual courtroom in Parliament Square. image credit: Greyfriars Bobby World Premiere Souvenir brochure
Robert Scott Riddell the organist at Old Greyfriars wrote a letter to the ‘Scotsman’ in 1889. He stated that the little dog was not a mongrel and the statue on the drinking fountain was a very fair likeness. image credit: Greyfriars Kirk.
Bobby was said to have left the kirkyard and regularly crossed the road to the Hole in the Wa’ public house in Lindsay Place for a bite to eat. Thomas Cowan the landlord gave evidence at the hearing in the Burgh Court to establish the identity of the little dog’s owner in April 1867.
Heriot’s grounds and Greyfriars kirkyard are connected by an ornamental gate. Peter Brown chased the little dog into the kirkyard through the gate. Dogs were not permitted in the kirkyard so the superintendent chased the terrier back to the school grounds. Eventually James Brown found that Bobby was a first class rat catcher and decided to allow him to remain in the kirkyard.