When the police and firemen arrived at the scene of the disaster they found only the rear and gable walls of the tenement standing. image credit ‘Illustrated London News’.
At approximately one o’ clock in the morning on Sunday, 24th November 1861, a tenement in the High Street known as Smith’s Land suddenly collapsed.
John Mitchell was appointed Firemaster of the Edinburgh Fire Brigade in 1849. He retired in 1872, the year of Bobby’s death. image credit ‘Aye Ready’
The engines at each of the fire stations was painted a different colour for indentification puposes. The engine housed in the High Street fire station was painted red. image credit Edinburgh City Fire Brigade.
The photograph shows the firemen carrying out drill. The Scott Monument can be seen in the background. image credit Edinburgh City Fire Brigade.
The headquarters of the Edinburgh City Fire Brigade was situated next to Fishmarket Close in the High Street. The station was manned by Red Watch. image credit ‘Aye Ready’.
William Chambers statue was set up in Chambers Street in 1890. The sculptor was John Rhind
A steam printing press was installed in W & R Chambers’ printing work in 1833. Designed by Robert Gunn the machine was built at Girdwood’s foundry in Glasgow. image credit ‘Steam-powered Knowledge.
The foundation stone of the Chambers Institution, Peebles was laid in 1858. The official opening took place the following year.
The members of the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) and Families Association held their annual ceremony in Greyfriars Kirkyard today to acknowledge the men, women and children held prisoner in the Covenanters Prison.