The members of the Cameronians Regimental Association will be holding their annual commemoration service in the Covenanters’ Prison, Greyfriars Kirkyard on Saturday, 1st July at one o’ clock. Originally raised as the Cameronian Guard by the Lords of the Convention, the regiment was named after the followers of Richard Cameron a Presbyterian minister. The Convention declared that James was no longer King of Scotland, and offered the crown jointly to William and Mary. In March 1689, three Scottish regiments in the service of the Dutch king arrived in Edinburgh, and the forces raised to protect the Convention were dismissed. The following month, a regiment recruited from the Cameronians was raised by James, Earl of Angus. 1200 men are said to have enlisted in a single day, without the need for ‘the beat of drum’ or a bounty being paid. The regiment was divided into twenty companies. In addition to the regimental chaplain each of the companies had an elder. image credit Wikimedia Commons
The Calton Hill management plan proposed by Edinburgh World Heritage has been approved by the City of Edinburgh Council. Adequate resources, both in terms of people and funding will be provided to ensure that the plan to improve the area will continue into the future. The proposal for the restoration of the city observatory which was supported by the Astronomical Society of Edinburgh and the One o’ Clock Gun Association during a meeting of the Calton Hill Stakeholders has proved to be an important step in improving the facilities and the public’s interest in the history of the area and the city’s time service. The One o’ Clock Gun Millennium Exhibition set up on the Mills Mount Battery at Edinburgh Castle for three months in collaboration with Historic Scotland is still running, attracting thousands of visitors from all over the world.
The photograph shows the landscaping work which is presently being carried out in the grounds of the Calton Hill observatory. Now that the landscaping is nearing completion, residents of Edinburgh with an interest in the city’s history can’t wait to see inside the building where so much important scientific work was carried out. Astronomers and historians with an interest in the history of timekeeping will flocking to the observatory from all over the world when the doors finally open to see the telescopes, clocks and scientific instruments.
Although the Blomefield gun was standard issue on naval vessels, the guns were also used by the military. Two thirty pounders were set up in Castle Cornet, Guernsey in 1826. By 1870 the garrison had nine guns. Known as the curfew gun, a nine pounder was fired at noon and at 21.30 to recall the soldiers back to barracks. It was later replaced by an eighteen pounder. Although the signal was discontinued in 1923 it was re-introduced in 1974 as the ceremony of the noon day gun. image credit Guernsey Museums & Galleries
The gardeners are now working on the landscaping of the observatory compound which may indicate that the buildings will soon be open to the public. The photograph which was taken from the North Bridge shows that scaffolding has now been set up around the prison governor’s house, presumably to repoint and clean the stonework.
In July 1820 the ‘Dirk Van Heering’ of Schiedam in the Netherlands docked at the port of Leith. The captain Thomas Bowling took his chronometer up to the transit house on the Calton Hill. He was not admitted to the small building. The keeper did not know the rate of the clock or the difference between the mean and apparent time. The clock was also five minutes fast. Captain Bowling took his chronometer to the Albyn Club in Princes Street which had a transit instrument and a nautical almanac. image credit Wikimedia Commons
A tree dedicated to the memory of David Rintoul a member of the One o’ Clock Gun Asscn will be planted on Bruntsfield Links on Friday 25th May at 6.00 pm. In addition to being the chairman of the Tollcoss Community Council and running ‘The Tollcross Times’, David was a keen golfer. Guests are invited to return to the Golf Tavern following the ceremony.
image credit Liz Summerfield.
From the storehouse standing on the building site, the line was carried to the steep rocky spur beneath the Calton Jail. Pulling the rope up the spur, the riggers suspended the cable across Waterloo Place before carrying it to the foot of the Nelson Monument where it was hauled up to a window just below the second gallery. image credit ‘Old and New Edinburgh’ by James Grant.
From the station roof the riggers hoisted the rope up on to the roof of the New Buildings located at the corner of the North Bridge and Princes Street where the Balmoral Hotel now stands. The rope was then carried across the North Bridge to one of the storehouses standing on the vacant site where the General Post Office was scheduled to be built. Although Mr Newall suggested that the wire be permanently fixed to the roof of the New Buildings to relieve the weight of cable, his advice was not acted upon.
From the top of the Mound the riggers carried the cable along the south side of East Princes Street Gardens to the Waverley arriving at the station at nine o‘clock in the morning. The rope was then hoisted on to the roof of the station. Arthur’s Seat and the Salisbury Crags can be seen in the background. image credit Thomas Begbie