David Cousin designed Chambers Street. He may also have been responsible for designing the pedestal for Greyfriars Bobby’s drinking fountain
David Cousin was the City Architect. He designed the Corn Exchange in the Grassmarket.
When Robert Louis Stevenson visited Edinburgh in 1881, John Wilson McLaren took him on a historical tour of the city. They continued to correspond with each other when the author moved to Samoa.
John Wilson McLaren attended Heriot’s. When he left school he became an apprentice printer at Ballantyne’s in Causwayside
J. Wilson McLaren who was born in 1860 knew the little dog when he was a schoolboy. He became a town councillor in later life.
Master Gunner Findlay who had been suffering from tuberculosis died in the military hospital at Edinburgh Castle the following year. He was buried with full military honours in St Cuthbert’s burial ground at the west end of the city.
The 24 pounder was replaced by a 12 pounder from the Argyle Battery. Dust blew into the cabinet due to the door being left open, disabling the mechanism and the 12 pounder failed to fire on the 6th.
The Edinburgh Chamber of Commerce sent out invitations for the official firing. Professor Piazzi Smyth conducted a countdown from the observatory but the 24 pounder failed to fire.
The 24 pounder standing on the Half Moon Battery was chosen to fire the signal on 5th June 1861.
James Findlay served with the Land Transport Corps during the Crimean War. He was wounded in the leg when an ammunition store blew up outside Sebastopol.