The photograph shows Cruachan the regimental mascot of the Royal Regiment of Scotland. The pony attended the Pets Blessing service at Greyfriars a couple of years ago.
Jan Bondeson has written an article for “The Scotsman” and the “Evening News” on the Mr Thomas Ross Scott the Mayfield psychic. https://www.scotsman.com/news/people/the-mystery-of-the-edinburgh-psychic-who-saw-the-face-of-jack-the-ripper-3146025
The Reverend Thomas Phillips commisioned a statue of his dog Friend when the dog died in 1810. The photograph is taken from Jan Bondeson’s book on Greyfriars Bobby. The memorial stands in the grounds of the vicarage at Eling.
A dog named Fidèle appeared in the Maria Cemetery to the south of central Stockholm during the 1830s. The story of Fidele who was said to have been guarding his master’s grave can be found in Jan Bondeson’s book “Greyfriars Bobby the Most Faithful Dog in the World”.
St Margaret’s Convent is situated in Whitehouse Loan on the south side of Edinburgh. The original building was the home of many literary figures during the eighteenth century. The building became a convent in 1834.
A convent and church were built in the grounds of the late 18th century villa known as Macauley House formerly known as Lauriston Lodge in Lauriston Gardens on the north side of the West Meadows. The convent which was built by William Matheson is occupied by the Sisters of Mercy and dedicated to St Catherine […]
The Sacred Heart in Lauriston Street opened in 1860. The church was designed by Father Richard Vaughan SJ who was a Jesuit priest.
Jan Bondeson has written an article on Bobby for “The Scotsman” and “The Evening News”. https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/heritage-and-retro/heritage/unsolved-mysteries-of-edinburgh-new-light-on-greyfriars-bobby-both-of-them-3140007
A Roman Catholic chapel was opened in Hunter’s Close in the Grassmarket in July 1859. According to an estimate, between fifteen and twenty thousand Catholics lived and worked in Edinburgh at that time.
The illustration by R P Phillimore shows St Mary’s in Haddington. Building work on the church was started in 1380. St Mary’s is the longest church in Scotland measuring 206 feet (62.8 metres) from east to west.