The transit telescope in the observatory was used to calculate the time on a daily basis.
2021 marks the 250th anniversary of the birth of Henry Maudslay. The engineer’s company set up the time ball on the turret of the Nelson Monument in 1853.
Jan Bondeson has written an article on Daddy Flockhart the street preacher who died the year before the little dog was said to have appeared in Greyfriars kirkyard. https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/heritage-and-retro/heritage/old-edinburgh-worthies-no-1-soldier-turned-street-preacher-daddy-flockhart-3091994
“Murder Houses of Edinburgh” by Jan Bondeson is now sold out. A second edition should be available during the next few weeks. The illustration shows the house where Burke and Hare lodged in Tanner’s Close at the West Port.
Guchie and Tammy Walker turned up at the little dog’s headstone to mark the anniversary of the terrier’s death. https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/heritage-and-retro/heritage/greyfriars-bobby-edinburgh-minister-highlights-importance-loyal-bobbys-beautiful-companionship-message-during-lockdown-3100778
The General Post Office was built between 1861 and 1865 on the site of th Old Theatre Royal. The foundation stone was laid by Prince Albert in 1861.
The Theatre Royal was demolished in 1859 to make way for the new General Post Office building.
The Theatre Royal which stood in Shakespeare Square, at the east end of Princes Street opened on 9th December 1769. In 1809 the theatre was taken over Henry Siddons. It was rebuilt in 1830.
The illustration shows William Creech who published the poems of Robert Burns. Join Edinburgh World Heritage us for a celebration of the ‘heav’n-taught ploughman’ through poetry readings and a virtual guided tour of the places particularly associated with the bard from his time in the capital from 1786 to 1788. Special guests include Scottish actor […]
Jan Bondeson has written a story for the “East Lothian Courier” on Friar’s Walk. https://www.eastlothiancourier.com/news/18995003.dunbars-abbey-ruins-mystery-friars-walk/