The friary was dissolved in 1560. Greyfriars burial ground was founded in 1562 after Royal sanction was granted to replace the cemetery at St Giles. By the following year the friary had been demolished and the stones used to build the the new Tolbooth in the High Street and the wall around the graveyard at […]
James Douglas of Cassellis and a number of prominent citizens provided the funding to build a friary for the missionaries on the south side of the site where Greyfriars Kirk now stands. The Franciscans who had taken a vow of poverty declined the offer as they considered the accommodation too luxurious for their needs but […]
During the middle of the 15th century six Grey Friars of Observance under the leadership of Father Cornelius who had been born in Zierikzee arrived from the Low Countries to set up friaries in Scotland. One of the friars Father John Richardson had been a student at the University of Paris. The Franciscans were well […]
Jan Bondeson’s article on the High Street disaster has been published: check out: https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/arts-and-culture/books/mystery-edinburghs-heave-awa-lad-who-survived-high-street-tenement-collapse-solved-3062673
“The Tale of Old Mortality” by Walter Scott tells the story of the Covenanters victory at Loudoun Hill and their defeat at the Battle of Bothwell Bridge when the men, women and children who took part in the stand on the bridge were marched back to Edinburgh and imprisoned in Greyfriars kirkyard where the Covenant […]
Although the Nelson Monument on the Calton Hill is closed the observatory is open from Thurs to Sun from 10am till 4pm. New measures are in place to make it a safe place to visit and work. We have plenty of outdoor space and our takeaway coffee Kiosk will be offering drinks, snacks and picnic […]
A plaque was set up on the wall inside Greyfriars Kirk in 1932 to the memory of Sir Walter Scott who as a child and a young man attended church services with his family. The ministers appointed to Old Greyfriars at that time would have been the Revd William Robertson and the Revd John Erskine.
The Scott family lived in College Wynd not far from Greyfriars. The illustration from James Grant’s “Old and New Edinburgh” shows the entrance to the wynd from the Cowgate. The Scotts later moved to George Square close to the Meadows.
The photograph shows the baptismal font in Greyfriars Kirk which is still in use today.
Robert Chambers “History of the Rebellions in Scotland under the Marquis of Montrose and others” published in 1828 may have led to the belief that the Covenant sent to Greyfriars was signed in the kirkyard.