Jan Bondeson’s article on the Edinburgh Castle mystery has been published in the press. To read the story check out: https://www.scotsman.com/heritage-and-retro/heritage/mystery-childs-bones-hidden-edinburgh-castle-walls-part-1-3074182 https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/arts-and-culture/books/mystery-childs-bones-hidden-edinburgh-castle-walls-part-2-3074184 https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/heritage-and-retro/heritage/mystery-childs-bones-hidden-edinburgh-castle-walls-part-3-3074191
The cathedral was designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott. The foundation stone was laid on 21st May 1874 by the Duke of Buccleuch and Queensberry. A bottle containing a copy of the Trust Deed, the Edinburgh Post Office Directory, Oliver and Boyd’s Almanac, newspapers and coins were placed inside the foundation stone. Services were held […]
The funding for St Mary’s Cathedral was provided by two sisters Barbara and Mary Walker in 1873 who lived in Palmerston Place at the west end of the city. The cathedral was built on their property. The sisters lived in Easter Coates House which still stands to the north of the cathedral.
A dinner was held in the Music Hall at the Assembly Rooms in George Street following the ceremony at the Scott Monument. The dinner was attended by Dr Robert Lee the minister of Old Greyfriars and Colonel Burns the son of the Ayrshire poet.
The inauguration ceremony for the Scott Monument took place in August 1846. The procession consisting of the Lord Provost, the city officials and the members of the Grand Lodge assembled at the High School and proceeded along London Road and Waterloo Place in the pouring rain to Princes Street which was packed with men, women […]
Jan Bondeson has written an article on Jeanie Deans cottage which stood on the south side of the city facing the Queen’s Park. A fictional character who appears in “The Heart of Midlothian” which was published in 1818, Jeanie was one of Sir Walter Scott’s most popular characters as she was honest, loyal and sincere. […]
The first morning service attended by the congregation of Greyfriars took place on Christmas Day 1620 which fell on a Monday. The sermon was delivered by the the minister Andrew Ramsay. A service was also held in the afternoon. The service was delivered by Patrick Sandis the Principal of Edinburgh University. A Merry Christmas from […]
Work began on building the church in 1611. The timber used in constructing the the roof may have been brought over from the Netherlands. The pulpit from the High School was transferred to the church.
In 1560 eighty Observatines led by Father John Patrick sailed from from Scotland to the Netherlands. Although the Edinburgh friars formed part of the contingent one or two decided to remain in the city although the precise number is not known. Members of the Mendicant Orders choosing to remain in Scotland received an annual pension […]
Father Crannok who succeeded Father Cornelius as Warden of the Friary was appointed physician to the Queen in 1492. The photograph from Wikimedia Commons shows the type of habit worn by the friars. It may have belonged to St Francis the founder of the Order of Conventual Grey Friars.