The postcard by R.P. Phillimore shows the Town House in North Berwick. A fishwife can be seen in the foreground.
The painting shows Quality Street, North Berwick during the mid 19th century.
The postcard artist painted an aerial view of the Bass Rock in the Firth of Forth. The Covenanters were imprisoned on the rock which lies approximately one mile offshore. The postcard is reproduced in ‘R.P. Phillimore’s East Lothian’ by Jan Bondeson.
R.P. Phillimore’s East Lothian by Jan Bondeson is available from Edinburgh Books at the West Port Edinburgh. https://edinburghbooks.net
Police headquarters stood in Parliament Square opposite St Giles.
James McLevy was in charge of the city’s plain clothes police department.
The engraving shows the esplanade at Edinburgh Castle. The Gordon Highlanders received new colours on the esplanade in 1864
The painting by Robert Sanderson shows the main gate at Edinburgh Castle. The painting is part of the collection stored in the City Art Centre. The One o’ clock Gun can be seen firing from the Half Moon Battery.
The engraving shows the Inner Gate at Edinburgh Castle leading to the Argyle Battery.
The Regalia is on display to the public in the Crown Room.