The painting was shown at the exhibition held by the members of the Royal Scottish Academy in the Royal Academy Galleries.
The painting shows the dog lying close to a table tombstone. Bobby was said to have sheltered under the table tombstone close to the grave of his master. The artist may have included the Half Moon Battery in the background to indicate that the dog went for his dinner when the time gun fired. The […]
Bobby disappeared for a couple of days in 1867. He had been taken to Gourlay Steell’s studio in George Street to have his portrait painted.
Greyfriars is open to visitors from 11.00 am till 4.00 pm. Dogs are allowed into the church.
A plaque to the memory of Colonel Tait C.B., A.D.C. (of H.M. Indian Forces) can be seen on the north wall inside Greyfriars Kirk. The plaque was paid for by the officers of his regiment.
Colonel Tait returned to London on sick leave in 1856. He died at the home of his brother who was the Archbishop of Canterbury due to the rigours he had undergone during his active service. The cavalry officer is buried in All Saints, Fulham, London. The photograph was supplied by Vernon Burgess the Chairman of […]
Captain Tait took part in the First Afghan War and the First and Second Sikh Wars. The Battle of Ferozeshah took place in December 1845.
Thomas Forsyth Tait’s family were members of Old Greyfriars Church. Tom who was born in 1805 joined the Bengal Army of the East India Company in 1826.
David Cousin designed Chambers Street. He may also have been responsible for designing the pedestal for Greyfriars Bobby’s drinking fountain
David Cousin was the City Architect. He designed the Corn Exchange in the Grassmarket.