Jock was an English terrier who liked to chase cats and terrify old ladies by jumping over their heads. He also liked to trip old gentlemen up by running between their legs. Impossible to control, he was eventually sent to live with a clergyman in the Orkneys where he continued to create havoc.
Duchess belonged to a drunk who Dr Brown helped home when he spotted him lying on the pavement in Broughton Street. He adopted the dog after the master died.
Wasp a brindled bull terrier was bought by William Brown when he was at Otley in the West Riding of Yorkshire.
Dr Brown acquired Wylie from an old shepherd who lived in a cottage near Peebles.
Toby belonged to Dr Brown’s brother. William Brown purchased Toby from a gang of street urchins when he spotted them drowning the dog in a pond in Lochend Park.
Dr John Brown also wrote ‘A Little Book of Dogs’.
Dr John Brown the author of ‘Rab and his Friends’ lived at 23 Rutland Street at the west end of Edinburgh. A plaque can be seen on the wall outside his house.
The stained glass window to the memory of George Buchanan is situated on the south wall of Greyfriars Kirk. Manufactured by Ballantine & Allan it was installed about the same time as a stone obelisk was set up in the kirkyard.
George Buchanan was born in 1506. The historian and humanist’s belief in resistance to royal usurpation gained widespread acceptance during the Scottish Reformation. He is buried in Greyfriars kirkyard.
When Gourlay Steell died in 1894 he was buried in Morningside Cemetery on the south side of the city.