William Chambers supplied the funding to build the Chambers Institution in Peebles.
William Chambers purchased Glenormiston estate near Innerleithen in 1849.
The company installed a steam powered printing press.
The two brothers set up a printing company in the High Street next to the City Chambers. The chimney of the printing company can be seen on the top right hand side of the photograph. The rear of the City Chambers stands on the left.
William Chambers was born at Biggiesknowe, Peebles in 1800. His brother Robert was born two years later. Their father was a weaver.
The twenty four pounder failed to fire during the inauguration ceremony of the time service in June 1861. Although it was replaced by a twelve pounder from the Argyle Battery, the garrison gun also failed to fire the following day. The time service was officially launched when twelve pounder fired successfully the next day during […]
In 1861, the colonel of the Royal Artillery at Leith Fort gave permission for one of the garrison guns at Edinburgh Castle to be used for firing the daily time signal at one o’ clock.
Construction began on Granton Harbour in June 1837. The main central pier was opened on 28 June 1838 to coincide with the coronation of Queen Victoria. The project which included the Victoria Jetty and a road running eastwards to Leith was funded by the Duke of Buccleuch.
The Victoria Dock was opened for shipping in 1852.
The illustration shows the entrance to Leith Docks.