Trinity House which stands in the Kirkgate was built in 1816 on the site of a former Trinity House and hospital dating back to the 16th century. The building was designed by Thomas Brown.
Leith High School was built in 1806.
South Leith Church dates back to the 15th century.
Leith Town Hall was built in 1828. The town’s police station was situated in the building. The Edinburgh Street Tramways Company laid a line between Bernard Street in Leith and Haymarket at the city’s west end in 1871.
The photograph shows the firemen carrying out fire drill in the High Street. A p0liceman can be seen on the left hand side.
The firemen attached ropes to the fire engines and dragged them through the streets to a fire.
Firemaster Mitchell was in charge of the Edinburgh City Fire Brigade
The fire station stood in the High Street next to the Burgh Court in Parliament Square.
William Chambers provided the funding to restore St Giles in the High Street.
William Chambers was elected Lord Provost of the City of Edinburgh in 1865.