Society which consisted of an area of land lying between the Flodden Wall and the Cowgate was granted to the Fellowship and Society of Ale and Beer Brewers of the Burgh of Edinburgh during the 16th century. The city reclaimed ownership but continued to use the name.

St Patrick’s

St Patrick’s Chapel was purchased from the United Secession Church by the Roman Catholic Church in 1856. The chapel would have provided a community centre for the working class men and women of Irish and Highland descent living in the Cowgate. The poet William McGonagall was brought up in the area. His parents may have […]