The hospital was taken over to accommodate soldiers wounded at the Battle of Dunbar when Oliver Cromwell occupied Edinburgh with his forces in 1650,
The entrance to the hospital grounds was originally situated close to the West Port. A roadway was later built on the south side of the Grassmarket connecting the market place with the main gate.
George Heriot donated the funding to build a hospital on the west side of the Flodden Wall close to Greyfriars church.
The dividing wall separating Old Greyfriars and New Greyfriars was taken down in 1938. The east gable end was also restored to it’s original design.
The Reverend Alexander Brown Grant was appointed minister of Old Greyfriars in 1910.
The West Window was installed in New Greyfriars in 1898.
Born in Ballinasloe, County Galway in 1830, Joseph Geoghegan served as choirmaster at Old Greyfriars from 1857 until 1883.
Robert Scott Riddell was the organist at Old Greyfriars from 1861 until 1883. A pedal organ was installed in New Greyfriars in 1889.
Born in Auchtermuchty in 1848, the Reverend Dr John Glasse was appointed minister of Old Greyfriars in 1877.
James Brown the kirkyard superintendent died in 1868. He was buried in Greyfriars kirkyard close to the path leading to the burial gate.