When the 24 inch equatorial telescope arrived in December 1872, Professor Piazzi Smyth found that the instrument did not meet his requirements as he had ordered a large instrument capable of being fitted into a small space. Although the company received payment, the professor continued to maintain that the telescope had not been made to his specifications and insisted that alterations should be made. The problem was never resolved as the contract which had been drawn up should have been more specific. Unsuitable for use in the Calton Hill observatory, the telescope was eventually moved to the new building on the Blackford Hill. image credit ‘The Peripatetic Astronomer’.