Nelson’s Column Montreal

Nelson's Column Montreal

Nelson’s Column was erected in Place Jacques-Cartier, Montreal, Canada in 1809. Designed by Coade & Sealy of London, the column was made of grey compact limestone. The admiral’s statue and the ornaments were made from Coade stone which was invented by the company. The column was shipped to Montreal in sections, arriving in April 1808. William Gilmore, a local stonemason who had contributed £7 towards the construction of the column was hired to assemble the seventeen sections. The foundation stone was laid on 17th August 1809. General Sir Gordon Drummond supplied eight cannon which supported the iron chain around the base. The final cost of the column amounted to just under £1,300. image credit Wikimedia Commons