Cameronians

The veterans and family members of the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) Association held their annual service in the Covenanters’ Prison, Greyfriars Kirkyard last Saturday. The annual service starts at one o’ clock as the time gun fires from the Castle. In June 1861, supervised by Master Gunner Findlay a detachment from the regiment which was garrisoned at the Castle moved one of the twelve pounders from the Argyle Battery to the Half Moon Battery as the twenty four pounder standing next to the flagpole had failed to fire on the 7th and the 8th . The firing of the daily time signal which finally took place on 9th June proved successful and has continued to this day.