Guernsey Blomefield Gun

Guernsey Blomefield Gun

Although the Blomefield gun was standard issue on naval vessels, the guns were also used by the military. Two thirty pounders were set up in Castle Cornet, Guernsey in 1826. By 1870 the garrison had nine guns. Known as the curfew gun, a nine pounder was fired at noon and at 21.30 to recall the soldiers back to barracks. It was later replaced by an eighteen pounder. Although the signal was discontinued in 1923 it was re-introduced in 1974 as the ceremony of the noon day gun.  image credit Guernsey Museums & Galleries