In 1861, the colonel of the Royal Artillery at Leith Fort gave permission for one of the garrison guns at Edinburgh Castle to be used for firing the daily time signal at one o’ clock.
Construction began on Granton Harbour in June 1837. The main central pier was opened on 28 June 1838 to coincide with the coronation of Queen Victoria. The project which included the Victoria Jetty and a road running eastwards to Leith was funded by the Duke of Buccleuch.
The Victoria Dock was opened for shipping in 1852.
The illustration shows the entrance to Leith Docks.
The Queen’s Dock opened for shipping in 1817.
The Albert Dock which opened by Provost Watt in 1869 was double the size of the three older docks.
The Edinburgh Dock opened for shipping in 1881.
The Custom House is situated on the north side of Commercial Street, Leith close to the area of the harbour known as the Sand Port and Ballast Quay. The building which was constructed at the beginning of the 19th century is based on the layout of Register House and was designed by Robert Reid the Master of the King’s Works.
The mariners on the ships on the Firth of Forth and the vessels docked in Leith harbour depended on the time ball to set their chronometers. The Nelson Monument can be seen in the background. The time ball was set up on the monument in 1853.
Lady Yester’s Church built between 1803 and 1805 stood in Infirmary Street. The church members moved to Greyfriars Kirk in 1938. Lady Yester’s chapel stands in the south east corner of the church.